CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE


"I was not born to be forced.

I will breathe after my own fashion.

Let us see who is the strongest.

What force has a multitude?

They only can force me who obey a higher law than I.

They force me to become like themselves.

I do not hear of men being forced to live this way or that by masses of men.
What sort of life were that to live?

When I meet a government which says to me, 'Your money or your life,' why should I be in haste to give it my money?


It may be in a great strait, and not know what to do: I cannot help that.

It must help itself; do as I do.


It is not worth the while to snivel about it.

I am not responsible for the successful working of the machinery of society.

I am not the son of the engineer.

I perceive that, when an acorn and a chestnut fall side by side, the one does not remain inert to make way for the other, but both obey their own laws, and spring and grow and flourish as best they can, till one, perchance, overshadows and destroys the other.

If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; and so a man."

-- Henry David Thoreau
_________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment